Safari Childcare recognizes that children are learning constantly — it is the nature of growth. Our duty as caregivers and educators is to provide experiences, which support and enhance this natural process.
This is a duty we take very seriously. We strive to provide our pre-kindergarten students with a well-rounded curriculum that fosters intellectual growth and kindergarten readiness.
Safari Childcare is a licensed preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten. We offer a curriculum that is designed to promote character education as well as school and kindergarten-readiness. Each program at Safari Childcare offers learning experiences, which enhance socialization and emphasize important preparation skills for the future. Reading skills, social/self-help skills, gross-fine motor skills, and cognitive learning skills are also developed and enriched. Children learn skills through “hands-on” activities and by sharing new experiences. Children will learn to develop their feelings by making new friends and exploring their own learning environment. These understandings are an integral part of our pre-kindergarten classes.
- Each classroom consists of permanent and flexible learning centers, which are clearly defined and arranged to promote independence, decision making, and encourage social involvement.
- Developmental theorist Piaget and Erikson each illustrated unique stages of growth to define how each child development occurs. Their philosophies are incorporated into our classroom structures, lesson plans, child assessments, and daily interactions with the children.
- We conduct child assessments throughout the year in order to provide feedback to you, the parent, about your child’s development. These assessments include developmental guidelines based upon your child’s age.
- The assessment portfolios are discussed during parent-teacher conferences twice a year. Conferences promote consistency in learning between school and home by providing an opportunity for you, the parent, to take an active role in your child’s development.
- We never scold, but positively encourage our youngsters, training them in self-help skills, and we provide an environment which allows children to make mistakes, encourage them to succeed, and foster self-esteem.
- We recognize that there is no “cookie cutter” approach to childcare development. Each child is unique and develops at his or her own pace. We do, however, look for signs that each kindergartener is progressing along a sequence of significant developmental benchmarks. Doing this allows the teachers and caregivers to approach each child at the appropriate developmental level.
- Learn to Read: literacy emphasized thoroughly
- Calendar: days of week & months of the year
- Recognition of colors, shapes, five senses, numbers (to 50), object, body, name & all letters & their sounds
- Personal knowledge & expression reproduction
- File folders: sizes, grouping, patterns, seasons, etc.
- Tracing numbers, letters & names
- Math every day: length & measuring, sizes, matching, sorting, patterns, graphing, estimating, counting 75+ & by 10’s
- Science: mixing, classifying & categorizing, recording data, investigating, life cycles, magnets, reflections, etc.
- Gross motor: outside twice a day, jumping, walking backward, catching, balancing, etc.
- Fine motor: tracing shapes, cutting on the line, puzzles, coloring in lines, playdough, lacing, buttoning, zipping, tying, etc.
- Sensory activity & art every day
- Cooking/game day: Wednesday (summer)
- Singing, flannel boards, stories, & fingerplays
- Reading both child’s own name, as well as fellow classmates’ name
Want to learn more about our pre-kindergarten classes? Learn more about us here, and view a sample lesson plan below. Contact us today with any questions or to schedule a tour of our daycare.